Would you accept a counter offer?

2 Replies

I'm preparing to make an offer on a house. I plan to offer 10% less than my maximum offer. Hypothetically if you made an offer on a house and they countered with your maximum would you accept it or would accept it or make another offer for a little less?

@Thomas Robb What we don't know in this equation is how much your initial offer is off their asking price. The best thing to do in this case in my experiences is to do exactly what you plan on doing. Offer below your maximum offer to leave room for negotiating and hope for the best.

The bottom line is, you will not know how receptive the seller is to coming down in price until your offer, contingencies, and terms are in front of them. Once they counter initially it usually becomes pretty clear if you are going to work towards a deal or if you are just to far apart.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you