Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Machir
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
Scam or Golden Opportunity?

Christopher Machir
  • St. Louis, MO
Posted Aug 31 2017, 18:41

So I am brand spanking new to real estate and investing in general. I recently came into some money via inheritance and I had decided many months before that I want to use it for real estate investing. It's not a ton of money, but I think it's enough to get started.

Anyway, I've been chatting with old friend from high school who happens to be a RE agent. He has also been looking to get into the RE market. He recently started working with a fix and flip investor, we'll call him John and my agent friend Paul.

John started fix and flip investing back before the crash, made a lot of money, then lost most of it in the 07 crash. He's ready to get back into the business, he has the know-how, the connections, the experience. He just needs investors. That's where I come in. He says he's got a lending company willing to lend him purchase and repair costs as hard money up front for deals that meet certain criteria. However he needs $9,000 to buy in to this lending partnership. I can provide that, and if this opportunity is legitimate I really want to get in on this. Paul is really excited, he has been learning from John for over a month now but doesn't have the money to invest financially. I do. 

I met with John and Paul, John is very charismatic, highly enthusiastic about real estate, seems to have a brilliant business model. All he needs is some start up capital. I am a new investor, excited about entering this world and learning the ropes, all I need is a partner and mentor. 

A match made in heaven or a con-man from helvete? 

The question is, does this sound at all legit? Have you ever heard of a lending company you had to buy into? How do I best protect myself and verify John's legitimacy? I already trust Paul, and Paul trusts John. But I have only just met John and I feel what he is offering is too good to be true. But what do I know? I'm a complete newb to all of this!

Before I do anything, of course, my lawyer will be running a background check and going over our contract.

Loading replies...