Contingencies in the offer

1 Reply

Hello,

So I am dialing up offers to send out to some properties and I want to know as a newbie to the investor world. For instance, I am estimating the rehab costs myself (without contractor experience, except book knowledge), and new to bringing a partner in with my LLC to finance the deal. What are some contingencies to add into the offer?

Your contracts are so important. Before making an offer study the issues you'll be facing and learn the contract provisions that address them, and how. The type of investor you are will dictate the most important provisions to include (or eliminate). Most investors would benefit by creating a contract template, custom tailored to their particular method of business with the assistance of a real estate attorney. I know that is not often economically feasible. 

That said, I would think the most important contingency to include in any real estate contract used by an investor would be the general inspection contingency / study period. Basically this allows the buyer to walk, upon giving notice during the inspection/study period (this could be 15, 30, 60 days or more depending on the property), and obtain a full refund of the EMD. So basically you find a property that you believe fits your model, you run the numbers, you make your offer ... and then during the study period you discover something that just makes the deal untenable. Give notice and you're out. Period.

I have more but perhaps this will get the discussion you wanted started.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide