Young couple buying first home

5 Replies

I am looking to buy my first home, to live in it, not for investment. Has anyone a checklist of things I should consider while looking for the house and before buying? Any books recommendations?

@Adrian Me ,

Go for a good school district, whether it's for you or a long term rental, or resale, everything is better when the school district is strong.     At the end of the day, location, location, location is what will matter most!!   Good luck, and make sure you get something you can live in for the next 5-10+ years!

Even though you plan on living there, you never know if you change your mind 5 or 10 years down the line. With that being said, i would make sure that i can at least break even if i decide to move out and rent out the space. @Adrian Me  

@Adrian Me In addition to school districts, look at Trulia.com for their crime "heat map".  

Other factors I look at for my buyer clients include flood zones, double yellow lines - especially numbered state roads, airstrips, shooting ranges, landfills, wastewater treatment plants, school zones, train tracks, industrial noise sources, neighboring businesses and cemeteries.  

These are all items that will reduce the attractiveness of the property when it's time to sell and some will present noise or odor issues that will make your time living there less pleasant.

Also, don't forget to consider commuting times if that's a factor for you.

Charlie MacPherson, Real Estate Agent in MA (#9532146)
781-412-4151

Thank you all for your help.

A personal home is a life style decision not a investment. It will cost you as much as it will ever be worth in most markets.

Decide your personal preferences, hire a good house inspector and don't over spend. Stay within your means.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.