duplex with one boiler / opinions

2 Replies

You all have been such I help. I am slowly spending more time on BP. Thank you. Looking to buy a duplex with a shared boiler. Two story, one unit on each level with a full unfinished basement. The boiler is only 12 years old and is located in the basement. Right now the owner pays the heat, first floor unit. There are two electric meters and two gas meters. The upstairs unit has a gas line ran for there stove and then for their dryer in the basement. So the gas meter for the upper unit has dryer and stove on it. Owners meter has boiler, his stove and his dryer on it. I want to split the heat so I am not paying this. I am thinking boiler can be kept for one of the units and install a furnace for the other. Anyone have experience with this? I am thinking some reconfiguring of pipes for the boiler and some duct work and gas lines for furnace. I am I getting into something that is too expensive? 872 sq ft each floor. 

@Troy Forney I agree with your instinct that you want the tenant paying for their own heat.  

One option is to reconfigure pipes as you suggest and install a second boiler for the second unit.

Another option to consider is installing electric heat in the second unit.  It will be a lot cheaper to install, though it is the most expensive way to heat a home, short of burning $100 bills in the fireplace.

I have electric baseboard in the home I just purchased, so to mitigate the costs, we purchased (not leased) solar panels.  In the summer, we make a lot more electricity than we use.  This winter, we'll start drawing down the credit balance we've built up with the power company.

Either way, you really need that tenant paying for their own heat.

Which do you think is the most cost effective?  Even if I went with electric, either way the boiler pipes will have to be reconfigured.  You think installing second boiler makes most sense?  I just don't want to get into a situation where I estimate $6000. to do this and it be $12,000.  I can get a furnace installed for like $2500. plus extra for duct work.   

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here