HELOC banking and education

4 Replies

Hi Everyone, So I am trying to get a HELOC to use for my first property investment. I have called some banks and the fees are never-ending; Interest rates are high but from what I understand it is like a credit card and only accumulates from the daily balance so if I pay more than one payment a month I can get somewhat ahead of some of the interest.

My actual question is: does anyone know of a Bank/Credit union with the best rates and terms  

@Robert B. , use one of the online calculators to determine your monthly interest costs.  It is typically interest only payments for the first ten years.  I find it very reasonable per month at current interest rate levels.

@Robert B. Hi Robert. Your rate is determined by a number of factors. Some of those factors include; FICO score, Debt to asset ratio, income, property value, amount of equity in said property and finally the Prime rate. I use HELOC's for my down payments and have found the rates to be very good.

What rates are you seeing?

thanks , they are in the 4s; then depending  on like what you said/+1-3 above prime. One credit union is like 4.25 at 80%ltv, 4.5 at 85% ltv, and then anything above 90%-100% gets >5-7.5%. Also depends on your status with the bank as well 

Just trying to get a feel, I have 70k in equity, but don’t want big interest rates so I may go to like 85% level

Thanks

@Robert B. Cost of money is nothing, but it could be everything if you do not have the funds needed to do a deal. Better to have it, not need it, than to not have it and lose a deal. Once you create the HELOC, you cannot go back and change it, without starting all over. Dang, you can get 100%, that is awesome!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here