HELOC banking and education

4 Replies

Hi Everyone, So I am trying to get a HELOC to use for my first property investment. I have called some banks and the fees are never-ending; Interest rates are high but from what I understand it is like a credit card and only accumulates from the daily balance so if I pay more than one payment a month I can get somewhat ahead of some of the interest.

My actual question is: does anyone know of a Bank/Credit union with the best rates and terms  

Robert B.

@Robert B. , use one of the online calculators to determine your monthly interest costs.  It is typically interest only payments for the first ten years.  I find it very reasonable per month at current interest rate levels.

Jason Gines, Attorney in New York (#4767281)

@Robert B. Hi Robert. Your rate is determined by a number of factors. Some of those factors include; FICO score, Debt to asset ratio, income, property value, amount of equity in said property and finally the Prime rate. I use HELOC's for my down payments and have found the rates to be very good.

What rates are you seeing?

thanks , they are in the 4s; then depending  on like what you said/+1-3 above prime. One credit union is like 4.25 at 80%ltv, 4.5 at 85% ltv, and then anything above 90%-100% gets >5-7.5%. Also depends on your status with the bank as well 

Just trying to get a feel, I have 70k in equity, but don’t want big interest rates so I may go to like 85% level

Thanks

Robert B.

@Robert B. Cost of money is nothing, but it could be everything if you do not have the funds needed to do a deal. Better to have it, not need it, than to not have it and lose a deal. Once you create the HELOC, you cannot go back and change it, without starting all over. Dang, you can get 100%, that is awesome!

Jack Bobeck

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
          • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
          • Learn how to get started with or without money,
          • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
          • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.