Favorite Real Estate Books

9 Replies

Hey guys,

I was wondering what books you would recommend on commercial real estate investing. I am just starting out, and I have read Crushing It by Brian Murray, The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings by Steve Berges, and will read The Perfect Investment  by Paul Moore. What books have helped you out the most in commercial real estate?

Your friend, 

Nick

@Nick Mulligan

I haven't found many other books that really dig deep into commercial real estate. Part of the problem is it may be too large a concept to fully teach in any one book.

You may have to be a licensed agent to join but if you're seriously considering getting into the commercial world, you may want to look into the CCIM institute and their programs.

That's not the only path into commercial real estate, but it could definitely point you in the right direction.

@Nick Mulligan That is a great question, but I do agree with @Dave Van Horn books can only lead you so far. I would check go to seminars and/or purchase courses on Commercial RE investing. BUT FIRST - you have to get really focuses on what type of commercial real estate you want to invest in, i.e. apartments, self-storage, hotels, cell towers, billboards, retail strip centers, mixed use, office, etc. Then seek out the top teachers in the given type and attend their seminars, podcasts, webinars etc. It is a lot easier to gather information about a particular type than it was years ago, which means learning will be easier. Good Luck! 

I recently read Multi Family Millions, it was great. Principles of Real Estate Syndication Tax Free Wealth, especially the depreciation section, cost seg. think and grow rich richest man in Babylon how to build a real estate empire
Rob Chiang, Contractor in CA (#973403)
(408) 646-4218

@Nick Mulligan

Apartments: Dave Lindahl (multifamily millions, emerging markets, apartment house riches course is also great). Ken McElroy (Advanced Guide to Real Estate) and Steve Bergman (Maverick Real Estate Finance).

If you're going to play big you need sales training: Grant Cardone has several sales books (audible or paperback) and courses you can buy. Start with the books. The content is great and the price point is low. DO NOT just listen to his you tube channel or podcasts.

Podcasts in general are great for finding good educators but are too shallow. Find good authors/educators in the formula you want to master and then take a deep dive and shut out the noise of podcasts.

Rich Dad Poor Dad.  I own over 1700 apartment units yet I still listen to RDPD every couple of years. It's a philosophical foundation that will aid you at all levels if you understand how to interpret it.

Two keys are momentum of action (go buy something and figure it out!) and repetition of content (once you acquire the best books and courses listen to them over and over again even if it's just 15 min in the car per day).  I have listened to the books/audio programs above as much as a dozen times in some cases.

Now go get it!

I read a good one by Dolf de Roos. Not sure the title. I read it probably 10 years ago.

It was probably more surface level/motivational than "how to" but I remember it having some good ideas in it.

Rob Drum, Real Estate Agent in AL (#112849)
205-253-8756

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will try and find some local professionals in my area and start reaching out and attending any live seminars or talks that I can. I need to save up some money before I can purchase anything, but I am building as much knowledge as I can right now so I will be as ready as possible. I expect to learn more from actually purchasing a property than from any book that you can read. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Originally posted by @Ivan Barratt :

@Nick Mulligan

Apartments: Dave Lindahl (multifamily millions, emerging markets, apartment house riches course is also great). Ken McElroy (Advanced Guide to Real Estate) and Steve Bergman (Maverick Real Estate Finance).

If you're going to play big you need sales training: Grant Cardone has several sales books (audible or paperback) and courses you can buy. Start with the books. The content is great and the price point is low. DO NOT just listen to his you tube channel or podcasts.

Podcasts in general are great for finding good educators but are too shallow. Find good authors/educators in the formula you want to master and then take a deep dive and shut out the noise of podcasts.

Rich Dad Poor Dad.  I own over 1700 apartment units yet I still listen to RDPD every couple of years. It's a philosophical foundation that will aid you at all levels if you understand how to interpret it.

Two keys are momentum of action (go buy something and figure it out!) and repetition of content (once you acquire the best books and courses listen to them over and over again even if it's just 15 min in the car per day).  I have listened to the books/audio programs above as much as a dozen times in some cases.

Now go get it!

Thanks for the reply. I've listened to a lot of Grant Cardone's stuff on YouTube. He has some great motivational talks, although I do think he holds back on a lot of his videos. Getting sales training is a great idea. I've been listening to Victor Antonio and I think he is great. I've read Influence by Robert Cialdini and it was one of my favorite books. I will continue to try and expand my sales knowledge at the same time as my real estate knowledge. 

Once I save up enough money and pay off some of my college loans, I will try going into an actual purchase. I am expecting to learn more from my first purchase than any books or videos that one could possibly read or watch.

Thanks,

Nick

@Nick Mulligan read Sell or Be Sold by GC

Listen to what GC thinks about paying off student loans early.  I tend to agree.

Lastly; it doesn't take much money to do deals. You need to start reading on creative finance, hard money, OPM, etc. It's all about finding a D-E-A-L. That's the hard part.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.