Property Measurement and Land Marking

2 Replies

Hello BPer,

There is a vacant land adjacent to one of my properties. Apparently, the a builder who is responsible for building the new property on this vacant land gave a hand out to tenants to move their car. They are also advising them that the land will be blocked and cap off.

To be honest, I don't really know where my land ends. So is it something that I should contact the city to have them mark or show me with a small fee? OR I have to call a civil engineer company to do this kind of marking and measurement.

I called the city assessor office today, but they turned me away. The office lady that works at the assessor office sounds so confuse, lol.

@Thomas S. So I was talking to the wrong department (the assessor) earlier. I called a different department later, the planning and development department. The lady asked for the address, and told me to come down and look at the land/plot - she appeared very knowledgeable. She also gave me a surveyor number to call. According to her, the surveyor is more economically sound than a civil engineer company. She said that the surveyor marking will meet my need. I have to stop by her office to look at a plot sometime. 

Thank you for your feedback.



Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you