My run-in with a scammer in Las Vegas

6 Replies

A warning for new and old investors out there in case you're looking at the same property. Beware the FSBO listing at 674 Baffin Island Rd in Henderson, NV. This is a scammer so don't waste your time. Here's what transpired:

So I saw this house with a great price listed FSBO on the MLS yesterday and I thought what a great deal, let's see what I can talk the owner into giving it to me for. Called the number listed (an Ohio number, red flag 1) and got a voicemail. Texted him also to say I'm a buyer and was interested and a few minutes later got a reply asking if I was an agent or a buyer. I replied buyer and he texts back saying he's out of the country (red flag 2) but he can give me a pin for the self showing. I said okay, but we'll have to meet up to talk a deal and "This smells like a nigerian scam btw. Don't even think of asking for upfront money. Lol."

. . . and the very next message I get from him is . . . drum roll please . . . "Can you pay for the upfront money so that i could send my lawyer to you..." (red flag 3)

Then of course I tell him to f--- off. Anyhow, be careful in your dealings and good luck to all. Sometimes when a deal is too good to be true it probably is.

wow thanks for the heads up ,scams are really on the rise Just last week I inquired about a car on Craigslist and got a similar song and dance The best advice if it seems too good run

@Vincent T. @Steven Picker - thanks for sharing guys. I usually see scams the other way like
1) I’m a traveling nurse and I WANT TO RENT SIGHT UNSEEN where should I send my money order? (You know the next thing will be please wire me money back I have an emergency ).
2) I want to buy your car / furniture / anything posted over $300. Let me pay you with this fake money order for too much money and send my shipper to you and you pay / wire him money (In addition you giving up your thing...)

There are tons of rental scams also right now. 

The irony is that your a bit of a shark (talking about me personally) trying to get a good deal and you encounter these sharks trying to take a bite out of you. I laugh a little in my head.

its rampant in the fake lender world too.. can't imagine how many people get conned out of 250 to 1000 bucks before they realize their too good to be true financing is not coming through.. :)  just as an aside anyone from NV reading this.. ANY loan made in NV the lender MUST be nmls licensed Period end of discussion..

Jay not just $250 to $1,000, as a broker of funds I have visited with people who lost in the thousands.  One gentleman a few years ago lost $50 thousand to scammers.  Another was a lawyer in Kentucky lost to a scammer.  My opinion, no, zero, nothing, nada, up front money to anyone to get you a loan.  Eventually yes you might have to pay for a survey or appraisal and maybe a small amount for something.  But no up front money should be paid, I don't need any up front money to work to hopefully get someone funded. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.