Vacant Home Insurance

8 Replies

I'm doing a flip and my insurance agent won't insure the home because it's vacant. I live in Albuquerque, NM. Does anyone know of a good insurance option?

You also might ask locally through Route 66 Insurance. 884-1615

Thank you all very much!!!  I appreciate your help!

I just purchased vacant property insurance from Foremost...they have a website and you can buy over the phone. 1950’s property. I bought a stated value policy. They dont cover theft, but cover fire, hail, etc.

I like affinity gm and I am in your market!

I use Formost for my flips.

Foremost is great for a lot of reasons - here is how I use them on a flip. The DF1 policy starts at market value (what you paid) in coverage on the dwelling. As you make improvements let the agent know and they can update coverage to match with a phone call. (Don't call for every little thing - keep it simple)

It's always a 12 month policy but you only have to pay for the portion of the year you are insured. A lot of vacant policies are set up front at (your choice) 3, 6, 9, or 12 months and are fully earned so if you don't need it the full term you selected you still have to pay the full policy cost. If you need longer than expected it can end up being more expensive than if you had just gotten a 12 mo policy from Foremost.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.