Appliances for a rental

4 Replies

Honestly, I don't think there's a requirement but of course, people tend to expect a range and fridge. 

Yet when I moved into a 3-bedroom in Culver City, CA we had to buy our own fridge because according to the landlord "Refrigerators are unsanitary." That's right - she didn't supply the fridge. 

Due to the fact the rent was more than fair and it was a nice area, we didn't have a problem buying a fridge. So I don't believe there's a requirement in some areas. 

I do not know about CA, but if its a gas stove..... you want to supply it !

They will never spend the money on a gas plumber and DIY.  Oh no!!

Frig, washer and drier are sometimes provided. Keep in mind once you provide them you get stuck repair bills..... Fixed appliances often are provided since they stay with the property.

@Anthony Chung Like @Karl B. I'm not sure what's "required" but I put in everything that there are hookups for: stove, fridge, dishwasher, washer/dryer.  It's also pragmatic from the viewpoint of you may not want renters installing appliances on their own.  Bad hookups, leaks, scuffs on the floor, marks on the walls, etc.  Sometimes it's just plain easier to have everything there.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here