What should I focus on? SFR vs MFR

2 Replies

Hi all,

My partner and I have been ramping up and really looking into SFR to invest in over the next 3-4 months(he owns a few SFR already). After having done research on BP regarding both SFR and MFR, I have to admit that my original tunnel vision of SFR is no longer there. After having read 7 Years to 7 Figure Wealth from Brandon it really showed the potential of MFR and building wealth. Anyway, I wanted to get some insight from some experienced investors here on the BP forums. Are SFR a better investment if you are looking for appreciation as opposed to cash flow? Reading through the forums it just seems like MFR do so much better in cash flow so I wonder if there are any clear benefits to investing in SFR over MFR? From what I've read(please correct me if I am wrong) SFR usually cash flow less than MFR but usually keep tenants around longer and you can sell a SFR higher than MFR due to investors usually only having an eye for MFR which in turn they want a great deal.

I would love to build passive income through real estate over the next decade or so to replace my full time job. What do you suggest I focus on? SFR? MFR? Both?

Thanks for any input!

@Russ Thank you for your reply. My end goal would be cashflow residual income. It sounds to me like SFR would be my best bet initially, and perhaps pick up a few MFR along the way. Thank you for your input!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you