What career should I choose?

9 Replies

Hello, I am in college and confused on what to to choose as a career. Real Estate is my passion as I want to eventually fully convert to full time investing in rental properties one day. Until then I am confused on what career would help me the most in that field. I am considering becoming an appraiser. I want to find a career that would pay very well as it would help assist me in investing.

Thank you

@Nathan Lilly Difficult to answer without knowing your personality but Finance could be great! It’s also versatile if you choose a career outside of RE.

Hello,@Nathan Lilly .

Congrats on going to College. There are a myriad of things you can study, but make sure that what you study and eventually get your degree in (if you so choose), is marketable. If I were you, I would make triple~sure that you can make a great income (to dump into RE investing), in what you want to study and have as a career.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that 15th Century History, getting a Degree in Bohemian Studies, and maybe Underwater Basketweaving are pretty awesome, but will it make you money? Can you make a solid annual income to support yourself & use for RE investing?  Those are the questions.  :)

Just my two bits.

Daniel F. Harb, ARRT,RT(R)

Currently majoring in finance with a concentration in real estate.

I am confident with the degree just not what it will lead to.

Stick to your finance degree or a business management degree and find job that will allow you to invest with additional income.   Anything with either degree will give you a w2  job that's should be worth falling back on if ever needed.

Stay with your current major and seek a job with a large REIT or multifamily provider upon graduation. You will get invaluable experience. The opportunities to invest will come. Try to get a position analyzing acquisitions.
You might also consider joining the National Apartment Assoc now. I think they have a student rate and you could start reading the trade journals now and attending trainings.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here