Non-Exclusive Agreement Georgia

3 Replies

I had a pretty good year, last year flipping houses, but all my deals came from my website and my own advertising. As of late I have seen a couple of houses on the MLS that I want to make offers on, so I reached out to an agent.

Today she sent me over a Non-Exclusive Brokerage Agreement to sign. It is for one year (which I will ask to change) and 6 month protection period. I expressed that I pretty much know what I am looking for and that she does not have to drive all over Atlanta letting me into homes, I basically just need my offers submitted. I understand the agreement is to protect herself in case I run with a deal that she present, which I would never do, but of course she does not know that. I read the entire agreement and my question is, if a deal comes through my website or from some other source, would I still owe her a commission.? 

She uses the GAR form and under 5A commission it is really not clear. It appears as if I would still owe a commission.

I was also in an agreement with an Agent. I would ask him/her to reduce the time or even i would suggest to restrict the agreement only for that specific property if possible. There are so many agents, why to have an agreement from a buyers side? I am not a pro - you can take my opinion as grain of salt. Good luck.

As an agent, a non-exclusive agreement allows you to use multiple agents or no agents but protects the agent with the NEBA where he/she has presented properties to you or acts as procuring cause of the purchase or sale.  Many brokers require their agents to have a written agreement and it is in the agent's interest to have one because, as you said...they don't know how you would work in a circumstance where a property was presented and perhaps you already had knowledge of it or the procuring cause is gray.  The agent most likely would have to provide a rolling list of presented homes to you in order to protect their "claim" to any deal but I agree, some sort of agreement is needed if an agent is presenting offers on your behalf and negotiating either as your agent or a transaction broker.  You can add stipulations to any agreement to make it accommodate your needs and because any commission paid on a listed property is paid by the seller, it is certainly worth enlisting an agent to help with acquisitions when you aren't getting enough opportunities with off-market homes.

Thanks Rama and Greg, I am going to use the agent. I decided to sign the non-exclusive agreement, change it from a year to 3 months and add a stipulation. Like you said Greg, it is worth enlisting an agent to help with acquisitions right now, so I don't think it will hurt if I sign the non-exclusive agreement, it stills gives me the opportunity to pursue off-market deals. Thanks again.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.