WalletHub’s Hottest Markets oF 2017

1 Reply

https://wallethub.com/edu/fastest-growing-cities/7010/ I’m sure many have seen this resource, but I’m curious to see how it translates to REI. Where are your markets on the list? Do you think this data is accurate to what you are seeing with boots on the ground? Tim

It's all about the methodology. Example: Greenville NC has a population of 91,495. That's under 100,000. That makes it a small city, not a mid size city. From an REI perspective, will my having an apartment complex there change when population is over 100,000? Other than hedge funds may (after population hitting 6 figures;) now consider it a mid-size city, there is no change on the ground. Did the fundamentals change? Not really. Did perception change. YES! The question become how much... and how do REI capitalize on it. I treat some of this as a big data kind of play. Maybe a 'tipping point' kind of metric. What I am getting at is... know who (and maybe even when) you want to sell your apartment to before you buy. As Wayne Gretzky said, (paraphrased, not a quote) play to where the puck is going to be, not where it is

Neighborhoods... same deal. Thing gentrification. BOTG... and local history/knowledge/vision... see changes and play odds. No different in REI than, say, technology plays.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.