What's The One Thing?

2 Replies

Hi BP, I just read The One Thing by Gary Keller and I wanted to hear what some of you think who have been successful in the real estate game.

What is the one thing you have done in real estate such that everything else is easier or doesn't matter? Is it finding deals? Or should you be more specific and say that it is making phone calls? Do you spend 4 hours a day on this? Thank you.

I am still just starting out but have good success so far and my One Thing is knowing my market. Without that I’d be toast. I recently predicted the appraisal on my latest BRRRR to the dollar. Because I know my (narrowly-defined) market really really well.

Hey @James Gleeson !  It's always nice seeing you on the forums.
My ONE thing is Finding my Personal Investment Philosophy.  You can bang around from one thing to another, or even get stuck in a rut, scared to do anything new.  And even be successful at it.  But if it's not what truly suits you, if you're not doing your life work, you're wasting your time.  That being said, I do a lot of work that I don't like and I'm not very good at...you have to start somewhere.  But consistently moving to the confluence of what you're uniquely great at, what you love to do, and what you can make a bunch of money doing...

That was a bit in the clouds, wasn't it?  But I totally believe it.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.