Noobie Question on Refinancing

7 Replies

This is going to be a real n00b question but I am new and I always get confused about refinancing. 

The down and dirty is I bought a house for 135k with a VA loan so 0% down payment. 2 years later the house is appraised at 155k. Could I essentially just refi and pull 20k out and it wouldn't affect my loan? Or use that 20k to help pay off my current loan?

Originally posted by @Timothy Casallas :

This is going to be a real n00b question but I am new and I always get confused about refinancing. 

The down and dirty is I bought a house for 135k with a VA loan so 0% down payment. 2 years later the house is appraised at 155k. Could I essentially just refi and pull 20k out and it wouldn't affect my loan? Or use that 20k to help pay off my current loan?

The $20k equity can only be pulled out by doing a cash out refi which would be a new loan. You can also do a HELOC and pull cash out, up to 90% of the value

Thank you @Brie Schmidt for the very quick response. I am about to do some HELOC research here in a minute but while I have you here, would a HELOC be a new loan as well or require me paying the bank back anything even though it is my money? Basically are there any cons to a HELOC?

Thank you @Brie Schmidt for the very quick response. I am about to do some HELOC research here in a minute but while I have you here, would a HELOC be a new loan as well or require me paying the bank back anything even though it is my money? Basically are there any cons to a HELOC?

It is your money when you sell.

A HELOC is a second lien on top of your current loan, so it would be a second loan payment.

90% LTV is $139,500 so you would be able to pull cash on that minus your current loan balance

@Brie Schmidt Thank you again for the info. I schooled myself up as well on HELOCS. did some google searching. I guess what I really want to know is that other than selling the property, how would I be able to pull out the 20k made off of appreciation without having a new loan on it?

@Brie Schmidt Thank you again for the info. I schooled myself up as well on HELOCS. did some google searching. I guess what I really want to know is that other than selling the property, how would I be able to pull out the 20k made off of appreciation without having a new loan on it?

You can't. The only 100% LTV loan is a VA loan

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here