Hurricane IRMA or Absentee?

5 Replies

Hi, all! Recently I have driven around various properties on streets I liked (driving for dollars, except mine was driving to learn, not to necessarily do anything quite just yet). I came across an interesting problem though... Some of the houses I would see had boarded up windows - one of the examples used in this BP post: Driving for Dollars Bible Part 1

Ok, sorry I have no clue why inserting that link made my text blue up top. Anyway...

Given that I live in Florida and we all just experienced Hurricane IRMA a few months ago, I couldn't quite tell if those boarded up windows meant homeowners were lazy to take it down, or if they were actually distressed. Any clarification? I can't figure out who would leave their windows boarded up but you never know? This is the first hurricane I went through as an adult.

Thanks for the clarification, and sorry if this seems to be a "stupid" question,

Amber.

There can be various reasons however if you are considering buying I would start with a list of those properties to solicit the owners to see if they wish to sell.

I would drive the areas you like, write down addresses, and pull those off county records. Counties will not have a list of boarded up houses on the tax assessors site.

@John Thedford  do u know how to find the owner's phone number from the address?  Or is the mailing the only way ?  Knock on door to find out the number of owner or maybe chase down the owner 's address And ask in person ?

Once you have the address you may be able to find the owner’s phone number the old fashioned way from the phone book, or there are numerous websites (ex. Whitepages.com) where you can reverse-lookup a phone number using the name and address from county records.

Direct mail is also an option, albeit a slower and more expensive one.

@Amber Herriman believe it or not, there are a few houses in my neighborhood that still have some of their storm shutters up to this day (some, not all); of the whole front of the house is still boarded up it may well be a distressed property or absentee owner.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.