"Class A Contractor", no license, consequences?

3 Replies

What are the likely consequences for filing a complaint on a person who publicly claims to be a Class A contractor in Virginia but holds no license at all? Backstory, I got into a bad deal with a bad contactor. I take responsibility for not doing my due diligence but I want to try to get my $3,000 bucks back. I gave him until yesterday at 5:00 to refund my money or I was reporting him to Virginia's Dept of Professional and Occupational Regulations for not having a license. I thought getting turned on to DPOR might be a significant enough event that he would want to stop me by giving me my money, but I guess not. Is DPOR not very authoritative or powerful? Not a lot of bite? I also plan to take him to small claims court because I believe he breached the contract we signed. He just said "I guess we'll see you in court." Any tips on how to prevail would be appreciated. What is the worst that could happen if I lose?

@Kate Johnson
Do you have a contract ?
You can file with DPOR but if they are unlicensed there is not much they can do as they deal with licensed contractors.

Your only recourse is small claims court

@Chris Seveney

Yes, I have a contract.  2 Pages.  Says the word "contract" on it many times.  

This quote on the DPOR website is what I'm banking on.

"If an investigation indicates the individual or business is not properly licensed, DPOR may take criminal action."  Is this a lot of bark but no bite? 

Any tips for prevailing in Small Claims Court?  Dude has a criminal record a mile long, it turns out.  And lies left and right.  Not sure that those things matter in my case, though.  He didn't come to do the job by the time he said he would.  That is the actual breach of contract.  

I agree, small claim court is your best bet to recover your money.
It is emotional draining even if you win though. Sometimes is better to find a way to settle outside the court .
I don’t see any possible problems if you loose. Except court cost and time waisted.
Good luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here