Legal Entities & Partnerships | HELP!

1 Reply

Hi Everyone, I am looking for advice regarding my current situation. I am ready to purchase a deal with a partner, however we have hit a bit of a roadblock. I am a current US Resident but my investor partner is still in the UK so has requested that we form some sort of Legal Entity before we start acquiring properties. From my understanding, we will not be able to obtain financing for a newly formed LLC and transferring the properties into an LLC after purchase will trigger the “due on sale” clause - although I have heard that many lenders will not care too much about this. I have also heard that I can personally back the loan for the LLC which I don’t mind doing. Are there any other legal partnerships/contracts we could create to state that my partner has an equal stake in the properties? What are my options here? If anybody has any advice on this it would be much appreciated.

I don't think you will have trouble getting financing for a newly formed LLC. You will both likely need to sign a loan gaurantee but that's pretty typical. We form llcs all the time and get loans for them with no prior business in the entity.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here