New investor in Kansas City

6 Replies

Hello all! 

I'm new to the BP community as well as real estate investing. I currently reside in the Denver, CO area, but am originally from KC (Johnson County specifically). Given the current state of real estate here in CO and the fact that I have ties to Kansas City, I have decided that KC would be a good market to get started. I've reached out to a couple of real estate agents in KC, but haven't found anyone that I feel comfortable with yet. Ideally, I'd like to purchase a buy and hold single family property, but am not opposed to flips either. I'm eager to connect with some professionals in the area.

@Kyle Talbot I would love to help you find properties here in kc. Lets connect!

Hi Kyle, 

First off, welcome to BP!  Second, I have a few agents that I can refer that we work with on buy/hold rental acquisitions, primarily in JOCO.  I help the agents with some of the due diligence on the rental aspect and they do the offer,contract, inspection... get to closing piece.  We then takeover after closing to do the make-ready (if needed) and get the property leased to a quality tenant.  Would love to chat with you further if you are interested! 

Have a good evening! 

Paul

Hi Kyle, Welcome to BP. I am also interested in out of state investing and would like to hear of your success and any challenges you experience. 

@Kyle Talbot - welcome. I am an agent and GC. I just helped my first set of investors purchase a rental and had a long talk with another investor today about her agent. The frustration I have with most agents, even ones who work with investors, is that they have no clue how to estimate repair cost and they have no network of great subcontractors/locations to buy discounted materials. How does that help you as the buyer? We are on our 10th flip in 10 months and have learned a ton.  You need more than a great team to help you with the purchase. Otherwise, what do you do after the purchase, even if you know people here? Plus I would recommend talking with someone who understands the pitfalls of this business.(mechanic liens, workers comp insurance, general liability insurance, entity structure, scopes of work, etc...)  Anyways, there is a ton you have to know up front to do this correctly and protect yourself. Please PM me if you have questions. I am more than happy to help however I can. 

Hey Kyle! I am a local investor Realtor and have been for 13 years. I have been flipping homes the entire time and have rentals (recently sold almost all of them off as the market is too hot not to take advantage of it) I also own a property management company. Let me know if I can be of any help!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.