Umbrella for personal as well my LLC?

4 Replies

Hi everyone,

I am searching for an umbrella that covers my assets. I have two nice sized properties under an LLC.

An insurance company told me I needed two Umbrella policies, one for the LLC and the other for my personal side. Never have I heard this nor does it make any sense.

Can someone please shed some light as to what they know?  

Thank you!

I'm an insurance agent in Oregon. I would do two umbrellas for you. Not sure what state your in, so I cant really comment further. But for me, in Oregon, I have one Umbrella. I have a Duplex and an ADU. If I get bigger I'd have one just for the rentals. Hope that helps.

@Shane Baganz this is very common strategy.  

Personal umbrellas are not priced to go over business operations, and for most companies, the LLC makes it a legitimate business.

There is an option out there that can go over Home, Auto and Rentals under LLC's, I'll PM you the info.

Originally posted by @Jason Bott :

@Shane Baganz this is very common strategy.  

Personal umbrellas are not priced to go over business operations, and for most companies, the LLC makes it a legitimate business.

There is an option out there that can go over Home, Auto and Rentals under LLC's, I'll PM you the info.

Could you clarify? So your personal umbrella can't include your LLC's as well. At least not the usual ones?

Could you PM me the info as well? 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.