Neighbor resentment for renting in "A" neighborhood?

5 Replies

I will be renting out my SFR that I have lived in for the last 3 years. It is in an "A" neighborhood, and anticipate my current neighbors won't be thrilled. There aren't many renters in the area, and while we all know many great renters that would give you the shirt off their backs, there is a negative stereotype about renters that exists.

While there is nothing they can do legally, I like my neighbors, want to have a good relationship with them (they have my number, and would likely text me if the renters are causing havoc, for both their benefit and mine).

Have any of you experienced this, or have any tips on how to "break" the news?

Also, do you typically give your number out to the neighbors of where you have your home for such instances?  I'm assuming you're more likely to do so in a A or B than C or D.  Thanks!

Just live your life and do what's best for you. And yes its a good idea to make it easy for them to contact you in case of issues.

You are obviously from the south lol in maryland we don’t even know who our neighbors are.  Maybe a quick wave while looking at your feet once per year.  But as long as you put in an A class renter it should be no problem.

Are you friends with them?  If not, just live your life..its is not their concern.  People rent for all reasons, and it is not always negative. I wouldn't worry about it.  Do your own thing. If it is chaos, you will get a call.  Check on your home yourself from time to time.

Why would certain people ( your neighbors ) anticipate things or have pre-made opinions about other people they don't know anything about? Anyone could be a renter. I know plenty of people who can afford to buy a house, but are renters because they just moved to the country and don't have an established credit history. Or people who just choose not to buy a house for mobility reasons. 

(919) 434-3132

Forget the neighbors and go on with your life. If they bother you too much about your tenants consider changing your number. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.