Financial/Money management for duplex

2 Replies

Hey everyone! Just started out and bought my second property, I’m looking for some information in regards to money management. I bought and renovated 2 properties (duplexes) and turned them into excellent rentals. Now I’m just trying to figure out how to manage my money properly. Should I keep rent money in new separate bank account or just keep track or what I get? Should I create a ‘business’ account? How much money should I be putting aside and for what? Do I keep letting the money in rental account increase over the years and use that for repairs/upgrades? Is there a excel spreadsheet template that I should be using to keep track of expenses on a month to month basis? Is there apps for my phone I should be using that I just don’t know about?

@Nick Cote
The way I did it was: set up a separate checking account which rent flows into and all expenses flow out of. Start out with balance of $10k for reserves. Let the cash flow pile up for awhile. When you buy the next property, skim off the top (down to $10k) to help pay for inspection, appraisals, closing costs. Repeat.

I do have a spreadsheet (nothing fancy) that I export my transactions to monthly so I can track how each property is doing.

What would be the advantages of having the income in a separate account as oppose to letting it go into my regular everyday account? Is it just easier for tax purposes or is there other advantages to doing that?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here