Water bill fees in Chicago,Illinois

5 Replies

My husband and I recently received a $1,000.00 water bill on the door our rehab property that has been vacant for 9 months with out the water ever being active! According to the water dept it’s required to be paid Are there any exemptions for having a vacant rehab property we should know about to have this water bill waived?? We need to obtain the water certificate before our hard money loan goes through which will require the debt paid

If you were on a non-meter account, then you are probably out of luck.  Also, part of that water bill pays trash removal.

The city practically doubled water fees a few years ago. 

Some properties in Chicago are non-metered, meaning the water bill does not reflect actual water usage.  The water bill is estimated based on anticipated usage.  I have yet to see someone successfully challenge a non-metered bill.  

Originally posted by @Amanda Strickland :

My husband and I recently received a $1,000.00 water bill on the door our rehab property that has been vacant for 9 months with out the water ever being active! According to the water dept it’s required to be paid Are there any exemptions for having a vacant rehab property we should know about to have this water bill waived?? We need to obtain the water certificate before our hard money loan goes through which will require the debt paid

I think you're probably out of luck with this bill, but definitely sign up for metersave going forward!  

Originally posted by @Amanda Strickland :

@Jeff Burdick Hello yes, we were out of luck unfortunately with that but what is meter save? I was informed we can register the property as vacant to reduce the fees is that what you’re referring too?

Meter save counts how much water you actually use and only charges you for water used.  

https://www.metersave.org/

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you