Tips on getting leads from agents

3 Replies

Hi! I’m in the SF Bay Area looking for flips, and I’m currently contacting agents about pocket listings. The only problem is that a lot of other investors are doing this as well. Does anyone have any tips on making yourself stand out to agents? 

I do a lot of REO work - and the nature of the position of my business results in a lot of pocket listings. I work with a lot with new and would-be first time investors, as well as very experienced and even accredited investors. Experience and ability is one thing, but being cool to work with is just as important (to me, at least). A 10 minute conversation will give me a pretty decent feel for somebody's ability to perform - but more importantly it helps me decide if I want to do business with the person on the other end of the phone. There are some folks in this business who just aren't fun, or easy, or cool to work with - regardless how much money they have to spend. So I guess whatever you're lacking in experience or performance, try to make it up with personality and being cool to work with.

@Andrew Jones if you are just calling agents randomly, you will be getting on a lot of people's bad side and as the previous poster mentioned that makes people not want to work with you.  A better option may be to call listing agents for properties that are listed for things that are close to what you are looking for, express interest in the listing and maybe even ask them to write up an offer for you if you are close in price.  After this you can inquire about pocket listings etc.  

As an agent I get calls from multiple people asking for this (even robocalls) , but it doesn't offer much value to the agent or the seller because they could sell a pile of sticks for $500,000 in the bay area.

Originally posted by @Blair Poelman :

I do a lot of REO work - and the nature of the position of my business results in a lot of pocket listings. I work with a lot with new and would-be first time investors, as well as very experienced and even accredited investors. Experience and ability is one thing, but being cool to work with is just as important (to me, at least). A 10 minute conversation will give me a pretty decent feel for somebody's ability to perform - but more importantly it helps me decide if I want to do business with the person on the other end of the phone. There are some folks in this business who just aren't fun, or easy, or cool to work with - regardless how much money they have to spend. So I guess whatever you're lacking in experience or performance, try to make it up with personality and being cool to work with.

well said.

This is a PEOPLE business. You want special treatment? then be awesome. You can't buy much favorability in this world, people have to want to help you.

that said, your ability to close is also important. When you're fun AND profitable to do business with, you'll be unstoppable.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you