Section 8 Housing Demand

1 Reply

How's it going BP?!

I am a bit new to real estate and I am looking to rent out a prospective home to a section 8 tenant/ voucher holder. Does anyone know of a way where I can find out if there is demand for subsidized housing/ section 8 homes in a particular area? 

I have tried calling the local housing assistance offices with little luck and I would like to confirm some of the answers I got with something a little more objective. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, Jack. I have an idea that could be useful. For my market (I have a few section 8 tenants) the local Housing Authority has a Section 8 Apartment List. Mine is available online. 

With the list you can see the demand for Section 8 properties (for instance, my market has an especially large demand for 1 and 4 bedroom Section 8 properties).

Also, one must consider the part of town a unit is in. For 2 bedrooms in my market, there are a lot available, however, most are in the undesirable part of town. 

I have a 2-bedroom in a B-/C+ neighborhood that is currently rented out. There's no doubt if it became vacant and I had it on the Section 8 list it would fill in no time. 

And literally every single 4 bedroom available is in a bad part of town. 

Knowing your market and getting access to the Section 8 apartment list is the way to go. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you