Buying a property fully rented when looking to house hack

7 Replies

I have been on the search for a property to house hack and one popped up in a great neighborhood but both units are currently rented. I am finding out the lease terms now. Is there anything you can do if their lease terms are not up for a while or is it just something that wouldn’t work out? This isn’t the first one that has come up that I have had this problem and I am curious if anyone has any experience with this/advice 

If they are on month to month you can ask them to leave in CA that would be about 60 days.  If they are on a longer term lease you can always offer cash for keys to see if they want to leave early, or just wait until one of the unit's leases is up, it is unlikely they were all signed at the same time.

@Ryan Breen

Unless the tenants are in violation of the current lease agreement you will not be able to evict them. 

I would acquire copies of the current individual lease agreements before making any offer on the property. I would also acquire a copy of an up to date financial report for the property to see if they have been negligent with any of their rental payments. 

If you do move forward with an offer I would also see if you can get the security deposit transferred to an escrow account held under an LLC you form for the property. If the current owner walks away with the security deposits and the tenants cause damage before they move out you will find yourself in a hole.

Lastly if you do make an offer and look to close, I would speak to the tenants and let them know management for the property will be changing, ___ is the day rent is due, ____ is the day a late fee will be applied, and if they are negligent you WILL file for an eviction. I have found that if you set the ground rules from day one, your tenants are less likely to yank your chain.

Regardless, inherited tenants can be a tricky matter.

Best of luck!

@Ryan Breen

Yes, I always ask for current and past financials for a multifamily property that was being rented out. 

I take their financials into consideration when determining if I can find ways to reduce operating expenses and increase my bottom line.

@Ryan Breen

Ryan,

Another strategy you could try is put a contingency clause in your offer stating:

"Property to be vacant upon closing date and free and clear of all personal property"

Essentially, this makes your current problem become the sellers problem.

To try and entice the seller maybe you offer anywhere from 1-5K over asking price. Roll the additional cost into your mortgage and it really wont have to much of an affect on your monthly payment.

Just a thought, keep us posted and best wishes!

Ryan J.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you