Financing Options with an LLC?

3 Replies

Hi BP Community - I have another question. 

My plan has been to start an LLC, and purchase a duplex using traditional financing with 20% down. I spoke to a lender yesterday who told me I cannot do traditional financing in an LLC, and no one will give a business loan to a new LLC. This is not quite in line with other stories I have heard, so my questions are as follows:

1.) What are my financing options when holding a property in an LLC?

2.) How important is an LLC when starting out? I own several personal assets and have a family so I absolutely want to protect against risk.

I'm sure I missed some information that may help answer these questions, and am happy to provide additional information. Thanks so much for the advice/personal stories.

Jenna

Hi Jenna,

I posted a reply to a similar question a while back, and others chimed in with some valuable input. Checkout the thread here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/49/topics/566...

In a nutshell, yes I believe you should absolutely create an LLC for asset protection. You can get commercial financing on your LLC, the terms just won't be as favorable as traditional financing and you can request attaching what's called a "personal guarantee" to the note if the business is just starting out.

Originally posted by @Michael Garofalo :

Hi Jenna,

I posted a reply to a similar question a while back, and others chimed in with some valuable input. Checkout the thread here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/49/topics/566...

In a nutshell, yes I believe you should absolutely create an LLC for asset protection. You can get commercial financing on your LLC, the terms just won't be as favorable as traditional financing and you can request attaching what's called a "personal guarantee" to the note if the business is just starting out.

Thanks Michael, I appreciate your response here and in the linked discussion. I will definitely call around a couple smaller banks in the state I am planning to invest in. Thanks so much. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you