• Investor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
too much equity in rentals??

Mike Savage
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Posted Jun 18 2018, 20:04

So i've been traveling a lot and thinking about significant equity in our properties while on the road.  Since the Portland market has been on fire and we've owned 4 properties for 10 plus years we have some very nice equity built up.  I feel good about the timing and the type of property we've bought but i'm wondering about things like opportunity cost and other real estate strategies based on our equity.  I'm ready to be comfortable with financial freedom and want to see if we could make some relatively simple steps to feel good about early retirement.  I would say my biggest roadblock is how expensive our RE market is.  My thought is if we were to sell a property or two and 1031 exch. we'd be buying into super high market in multi's for example.  Our total net worth seems pretty good but lots of that is tied up in the walls of our properties.  My goal is $10k month passive income from rentals to feel FI while leaving our retirement portfolio alone.  We are around $3k+ now on our 3 rentals.  A musician friend in LA bought into Realty Shares and likes that hands off freedom when he is in studio or on the road.   But I'm  very risk averse so not sure this would be  goo d fit

let's discuss and see if I'm missing the forest for the trees.  would love to hear some options from the community.  It certainly seems like we can squeeze more cash out of our good investment decisions.  

Loading replies...