Advice For a College Student

4 Replies

Hello fellow BP members,

I am a sophomore majoring in civil engineering at the University of Buffalo, I'm 18 years old. I quickly realized that real estate is a GREAT way to financial freedom. I am currently seeking to learn and connect with as many people as I can. My goal is to own 600 units by 2030 by using the BRRRR method. I am hoping to meet people, connect, and learn. I can volunteer my time and energy in exchange for real estate knowledge. Currently I am trying to learn as much as possible. I currently manage the social media page of a real estate agent/investor and learn a ton that way! I was wondering what else I could be doing to reach my goal? What actionable tips do you recommend? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thank you,

Shayan

@Shayan S. I think I commented on your other post.

I would advise finishing school on time (4 years) minimizing debt, avoid if possible. Work part time or full time as an intern for some summers. Get the highest Gpa you can.

@Kevin Marino Having a high paying W-2 job is sometimes the best way to get into Real Estate.  It takes a lot of hard work and a lot of Capital.  Once you are established and can start using your equity it can snowball but, it takes time and lots of building.

Read everything you can on BP and look for some good Real Estate books.  Youtube is also a great resource.  Good luck!

@Kevin Marino

As someone who just graduated college and closed on their first deal I can tell you the best thing I did was not to follow the crowd throughout school. I worked full-time in a variety of sales positions while going to school and missed out on the "college experience" but I'm glad I did because it allowed me to graduate with no debt and quite a bit of real-world experience that has helped me in my real estate business. I'm determined to close on two more properties by the end of the year and I would not be in the position to do this if it was not for the decisions I made over the last four years. 

To answer your question I would say to make sure you prioritize your coursework to ensure you learn the material and graduate with the highest GPA possible and find a sales job that you can work on the side. Learning to sell is absolutely essential to your success in real estate (and business in general). In your free time make sure you read books on real estate and of course articles on BP and you will be well ahead of all of your peers when you graduate. 

That is the best advice I can give based on my own experience; good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you