Any Current Investors working with Smartland?

14 Replies

Fellow investors, I’ve been working with Tom from Smartland for the past few months. Looked at a few properties and given my parameters I feel the return I’m looking for is doable with them. I’ve researched them here and looked at any and all reviews I was able to find. So far hey check out however I was unwilling to move forward until given the opportunity to chat with a few current investors. Tom reached out to a few that were willing to speak with me but I have yet to receive a response to the emails I’ve sent. I reside in CA and I am very hesitant I move forward without speaking to current investors. I have property in CA and TX and looking to expand my portfolio. I’d very much appreciate some insight from the BP group as I value your input. Thank you in advance. -Mike

Mike I have never done business with them.. but I had the opportunity to have breakfast one morning with the owners of the company... when I was in Cleveland looking at some of my stuff.

There is no doubt they are pro's and well capitalized and know what they are doing.

referrals from past clients are really tough frankly... for two reasons one you don't want to bother people and two with some companies ( not Smartland) this is the easiest thing in the world to find folks that may or may not be real and say glowing things.. 

your best bet in my mind is to go out and eye ball them and the property you want to buy.. then make a decision

don't do a Morris thing.. were he had all these glowing testimonials on his U tube then promptly sold 500 or junkers to those we are now in a tight spot.. 

Although with LaBron coming to LA not sure on what will happen to Cleveland :)  lakers are going to make a run at my team .. GSW

Jay, thank you so much for the advice. I do agree that making the trip out there is a wise idea. I’m glad to hear your thoughts on the owners. Also jokes aside I do wonder whether Lebron leaving will impact the rental market/economy in Cleveland. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by @Michael Lewis :

Jay, thank you so much for the advice. I do agree that making the trip out there is a wise idea. I’m glad to hear your thoughts on the owners. Also jokes aside I do wonder whether Lebron leaving will impact the rental market/economy in Cleveland. Any thoughts?

really don't know. but it will have some impact on resturants and other venues during game times.. as I would think less folks come to the games.. remember we sports fans are front runners or band wagon or what ever if the team is no good people don't come and that leads to a ripple effect..   but bothering rentals not really is my thought.

@Michael Lewis outside of things like Sports and restaurants I don’t think it’ll affect it that much.

I own in Cleveland and I’m a huge Lebron fan. I pretty much knew he was gone 4 months ago lol, just didn’t know where. I was hoping Houston but I guess LA won

I do agree with @Jay Hinrichs . LeBron moving out can affect the restaurants and short term rental market but may not have any effect on rental market.
Of course, anyone owning a property in that market wouldn’t want to hear this.

Hi Michael, I also looked at doing business with Smartland and they seemed on the up  and up to me. I ended up not going with them because i was set on Dayton and that is not one of their areas.

Good luck to you.

Tom posts often on BP and the things he says make sense. If they were screwing people, I suspect they would get negative feedback and I haven't seen that.

Their turnkey model has everything done by the same company. That's really easy for you as an investor. To me that is like putting all your eggs in one basket then handing the basket to someone who eats eggs. Too many crossed purposes for my liking... Everything from the sale price to the turnover frequency - they make more money when you make less money. If you were doing that in Dayton, OH, you would get slaughtered. Cleveland is a different place with better players.

I won't miss LeBron for the same reason I don't miss hot rod Williams. Hint: Its the reason hot rod was thrown out of college.

Originally posted by @Michael Lewis :

I'll be putting out some info on that later today. Not just opinion, actual data based facts. 

@James Wise are you going to post that in the Cleveland forum? I’d love to read your thoughts on the Lebron move.

I’m a huge Lebron fan and unfortunately I wasn’t expecting him to stay. KD ruined the league when he left for the warriors two years ago

Caleb, LeBron destroyed the league going to Miami and giving everyone permission to team up to create a super team to get that ring. Should blame KD for following LeBron’s lead.

Btw, that same LeBron who called KD to come to LA now.. who wants Kawhi and cousins to come join him..

@Tommy Spijkers he won’t get cousins and kawhi. Not enough cap room. I think he gets kawhi either this season or next.

Comparing Lebron to Miami as KD to GS isn’t a fair comparison.

The warriors had the best record in league history and then KD joined them. Let that sink in. Lol

Lebron also beat the team with the best record ever in the finals and I think that makes him the goat 🐐. I digress

@Caleb Heimsoth We're getting far of topic so I'll leave it with this: You have every right on your own opinion, even when I think you're wrong. Steph, Clay and Draymond have as many rings as LeBron. No way you can be the GOAT if these players in your era have the same number of championships and may actually end up with more than you have. Just my opinion, in no way a fact.

To get on topic, I honestly have no experience with Smartland. Sorry to be not more helpful.

Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth :

James Wise are you going to post that in the Cleveland forum? I’d love to read your thoughts on the Lebron move.

I’m a huge Lebron fan and unfortunately I wasn’t expecting him to stay. KD ruined the league when he left for the warriors two years ago

I'll be posting it in the Bigger Pockets Marketplace as it will include a video from my studio out here in Cleveland.

Originally posted by @Tommy Spijkers :

@Caleb Heimsoth We're getting far of topic so I'll leave it with this: You have every right on your own opinion, even when I think you're wrong. Steph, Clay and Draymond have as many rings as LeBron. No way you can be the GOAT if these players in your era have the same number of championships and may actually end up with more than you have. Just my opinion, in no way a fact.

To get on topic, I honestly have no experience with Smartland. Sorry to be not more helpful.

Robert Horry has more rings than all of them. We aren't making the case that he is better than any of them though.

As for Smartland they run a pretty decent operation. I'd like to see it go out of business but can't honestly say I have heard anything bad about them. Trust me I would if I could, lol.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you