Golf course investment

4 Replies

Hello

From wheee I’m at in upstate New York it would appear that golf courses are only used 4 or 5 months out of the year. So this made me curious are they a good investment in the snow belt regions?

So I came a cross a listing for a golf course in my area for sale, although I would like to purchase this my self  I know I have no funding to make this happen, I would have to wholesale this to another investor and this leads me to my questions.

Are golf courses a good real estate investment?

Can you wholesale a golf course to a investor?

Can you use creative financing using no money down for such a large purchase?

What key finances should I look for in the financial reports?

Any help would be appreciated 

Thank You

Joe

Hi Joe,

I've looked at a lot of golf courses over the years, but there were only a few that penciled out. And these were in Florida! That said, you probably wouldn't have too much trouble getting a joint venture partner or LPs so long as you have the right business plans.

In my experience, I've seen golf course investments make money in one of two ways - redevelopment or upscale repositioning.

Redevelopment can sometimes be tricky if you have homes surrounding the golf course. Look for opportunities with a few acres near the club house to build additional for sale product or multifamily. Incorporate the golf course membership in your HOA fee for these new residents to ensure a consistent revenue stream during your holding period.

Upscale repositioning is more challenging. Essentially, you must have sufficient demand from the community to support this kind of strategy. Golf is an upscale, lifestyle sport. Look around for similar retailers in the area, like yoga and spinning studios, running stores, and lifestyle clothing stores. If there is demand for other lifestyle sports, the golf course may just be suffering from being too poorly positioned to attract the right crowd. This is a more advanced business plan, so it's probably best to bring on a partner with experience in the space.

John

Hello John

Thank you for your input as I discovered The property has263 acres total of that acres 13 are wetlands, this leaves 250 Acres and out of that 180 acres is the golf course, so this leaves 70 acres for potential development. looking at potential  200 building lots in 70 acres seems very tight. 

So I’m not sure if this is a good deal or needs a little more information. 

It’s probably worthwhile to get a land planner to weigh in.
Even though 70 acres works for 200 homesites on an Excel spreadsheet, the reality of how that land is situated may allow for far fewer. For example, it could be 70 acres in 20 linear foot strips.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you