How do I properly construct a purchase with a partnership?

How do I properly construct a purchase with a partnership?

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes
Hey guys I’m Shawn! I’m a new investor who acquired his first property a year ago, a small multi-family (duplex) in Atlanta, Ga. I’m looking to acquire another property this year by utilizing a business associate as a partner in the purchase but I don’t know where to start or how to go about this! I’ve been reluctant to use other investors’ money in a purchase because of my lack of knowledge in this process. My main question is, who’s responsibility will it be to divide the earnings amongst the partners? Myself or the property management company?
1Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 971 votes
8y
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Shawn Smith

    Welcome to the BP forums and congrats on your first property!

    When considering options for a partnership, you'll want to consult with an attorney for the asset protection implications and a CPA for the tax implications. An attorney can explain the benefits of setting up an LLC along with an operating agreement.

    Regarding payouts from the property management company, you would optimally have a separate bank account and have draws into the linked bank account. Then, you would distribute the profits from the business bank account to the partners based on the terms of the operating agreement.

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    @Daniel Hyman thank you sir! This information will be of great help to me in the upcoming months!
  • Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 971 votes
    8y
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Atlanta, GA & S. FL · Member since 2009 · 115 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    I would welcome the opportunity to JV with someone, if interested message me.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    @Costin I. Thank you for your help! It’s much appreciated, thanks to investors like you guys I’ll be able to expedite the learning process & find success sooner.
  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    @Crystal Salton I definitely will! I’d love the chance to learn from a more experienced investor.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.