Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Woods
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Windsor, CO
Votes |
Tenants Calling Code Enforcement Not Property Mgmt.

Jeremy Woods
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Windsor, CO
Posted Jul 30 2018, 10:23

HELP!!

We closed on our first larger multi-family about 6 months ago. Since then we have corrected a bunch of deferred maintenance, started to update vacant units and are working on turning around the property. We have had some issues with tenants, who are being required to actually pay rent, calling in issues to code enforcement. When I say issues I mean the toilet backed up Sunday and they completely bypass calling the property manager and are telling the city that the property manager can't be reached. While on the phone with code they are also bring up a bunch of other items that we didn't know were issues.  My property manager is on top of issues and when called usually has a solution within hours if not within the day. The city, of course, is hitting us with everything, the property is old and the last owner neglected it. What do I do, we are fixing everything that we know about but some larger fixes take time. I don't want to piss off the city but I feel like they are training my tenants to call them and bypass the property manager. I don't get why an owner who neglects the property gets treated better than one who puts in the effort. Any advice or previous experience with this would be helpful.

1. Yes we have talked to tenants about the step to handle maintenance issues

2. We have explained our issue to the city with tenants bypassing us and going directly to city code enforcement

Loading replies...