Would You Buy a Rental Property with Negative Cashflow?

Would You Buy a Rental Property with Negative Cashflow?

Realtor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 24 votes

Good Afternoon Everyone,

My name is Jordan and I am from Houston, TX.  Currently in process of getting my real estate license and have a long-term goal of buying rental properties to eventually cover my monthly expenses and to give back to the people in my life who got to where I am at today.

I tend to get discouraged when I analyze properties (in Houston) where the cash flow is slim to none. Maybe I am being too conservative on expenses and rate increases? I have been mainly looking on Zillow and have been using the BP calculator for my analysis. Because of this, I have even tried analyzing properties out-of-state such as in Tulsa, OK looking at properties that seem lower risk ($40K + price range) and better cash flow. It also seems so far away because I am just now starting to save for a property, as most of it has gone to build of my 6 month emergency fund (Sometimes I think about using my emergency fund to buy my first property). With investing right now seeming like a stretch, I kept thinking and thinking only to have the light bulb go off.

What if I could get away with buying a property that may have $-100 cash flow and just eat the $100 loss? I have a full-time salary job and because I am super on top of my personal budget each month, I know that I will have about $1,000 leftover each month after all my personal expenses. So If I bought a rental property that cash flowed -$100 or - $200, I would basically just be paying $100 - 200 a month from my $1,000 that I have left over from my work income. The rest would go towards saving for more properties.

With all that being said, is there anyone on here who has done this, fell into it by mistake, or would consider doing this? Or is this just a bad idea altogether? 

I am open to all opinions. Feel free to even tell me its dumb idea. I am just looking for some guidance on how to get started.

Thank you,

Jordan Petty

8Reply
234 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
8y

I love properties with negative cash flow.  

I love to pay my tenants to live in my properties.  

I love to pay off the debt on my properties, instead of having the tenants do it for me.  

I love knowing that I would be much further ahead financially if I didn't own any real estate.

Did I mention that I loved negative cash flow properties?

See this reply in the discussion

110 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 24 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Soukup:

    You buy an investment based on return. If you had someone come into your office and ask you to invest $50,000 and I can promise you a -2.5% return, you'd kick them out of your office and ask them never to come back.  You make the money on the purchase, not the sale so if you're future oriented but presently blind, all you can hope for is that you don't step off a cliff and get to the other side alive. Sounds like a poor plan to me.  

    Be patient. It sounds like you're learning the market right now. It sounds like you are analyzing a lot of deals which will allow you to KNOW when a GOOD deal comes across your table. You could purchase this property and come across a positive cash flowing deal tomorrow and feel like the world's depression came crashing down on your shoulders. Be patient, but ready for when a good deal comes across your table. 

    Great work asking questions and doing your research, just don't get antsy.

     @Patrick Soukup Thank you for the insight. That definitely makes a ton of sense when you explain it in that light.

    It's definitely tempting to want to just "jump in" without the cash needed when you are reading or hearing everyone saying that. Sayings such as "If you don't invest now, you are missing out!" 

    I definitely don't want to be the guy that says he is going to invest, but never actually do it. I have already overcome my fear of talking to homeowners when I first tried to start wholesaling. It was nerve-racking, but I did it  (talk to potential sellers and walk their property) and can say I actually enjoyed it. Never got a deal, but it was a good lesson for me. I decided to get my license instead because I felt there where many conflicts in my values with wholesaling. Definitely learning a lot now about the industry, the laws, and how the market works which I feel is invaluable to learn.

    Right now I am reading "Loopholes of Real Estate" by Garret Sutton, which has really opened my eyes to tax advantages of real estate investing. So, definitely a lot more things to learn and a lot of patience to be had.

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @Jordan Petty you mention something in your first paragraph that really resonated with me... 'to give back to those who have helped you' and also you mentioned you were looking long term. I have twice bought a negative cash flowing property and it was for similar reasons.  The first time, I purchased a house in an area of North Carolina I was sure I would return to when my career permitted it (I'm military). I bought a house I loved in a great school district.  I was fortunate to have good, high quality tenants over the 9 years it was a rental. But it was always $-150 a month or so. I was able to make it up on my tax returns at the end of the year and I liked knowing it was 'waiting' for me.  When my life circumstances changed and I realized I wouldn't return there, there was no incentive to keep the house so I sold it and made a little money on the sale. 

    The second time was to give back. I rent a home I own to a very beloved family member who has helped me out tremendously in life but currently could not afford to pay the total amount each month that would make it cash flow positive for me. I could get more on the open rental market, but in this case it makes me much happier to have someone I love dearly in a safe, nice house then to have strangers in it and making a few hundred more each month. Long term, the house is in an attractive area that has experienced consistent, long term growth and rising home values. 

     In each case, I was able to do this because, like you, I have outside steady income.  In my second case my family member and I had an open, honest discussion about exit strategy in the event my financial circumstances change and I need to either sell the house or make it cash flow positive. 

    I'm a newer investor and I have two other properties that cash flow and I selected them because they DID cash flow and were in a nice, growing area. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. 

    I wish you good luck and if you are thinking long term on a case by case basis, such as buying a home that your parents might want to live in someday when they are elderly/retired, but could be a rental now even if you were out of pocket a bit, I'd say go for it.  I know not everyone will agree with me because there are still a lot of 'What-ifs' in each scenario. Keep us posted on your progress!

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Bob Prisco:

    @Dan H.  11 -15% net cap per year with 20% Equity in an appreciating market seems to be much better then rolling the dice. When the Stock Market corrects, as it will , say 20% , and your 100k is now 80k, that hurts, vs 100k value goes to 80k, so what, you are still collecting the  11- 15% per year, , and there are far more tax advantages with RE vs the SM , good luck to all, 

    Your perspective is a short term perspective.  Do you know what the recovery has been for A&P market declines?   Virtually all have taken less than 5 years.  Long term (since start of S&P) 10% average return with the S&P 500.  No way would I choose to own a buy n hold property if it was projecting not significantly more than 10% return.  Otherwise I choose a different investment such as S&P and dollar cost average my incoming investment (so your scenario would not apply) for a lot less effort than owning a buy n hold property.

    Fortunately my buy n holds have returned far better than 10%.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jordan Petty:

    It's definitely tempting to want to just "jump in" without the cash needed when you are reading or hearing everyone saying that. Sayings such as "If you don't invest now, you are missing out!" 

    I definitely don't want to be the guy that says he is going to invest, but never actually do it. I have already overcome my fear of talking to homeowners when I first tried to start wholesaling. It was nerve-racking, but I did it  (talk to potential sellers and walk their property) and can say I actually enjoyed it. Never got a deal, but it was a good lesson for me. I decided to get my license instead because I felt there where many conflicts in my values with wholesaling. Definitely learning a lot now about the industry, the laws, and how the market works which I feel is invaluable to learn.

    So I actually agree with you there.  If someone was looking to get started, I'd actually suggest they buy a $100/month loss property than not do anything.   I used to get asked all the time "How did you get started?".  I told them "I got started".   I bought a damn house and rented it out.  Not something you have to have an MBA from Harvard to do.  You learn a ton, and do better each time.  

  • Investor · Easley, SC · Member since 2013 · 248 posts · 51 votes
    8y

    The only way that I would buy with negative cash flow is if I was taking over an existing mortgage that had a lot of equity in it.

  • Realtor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 24 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Groudan:

    To me it depends on your strategy - if your goal is to live of the net rental income, I would not buy negative income rentals unless you have a strategy to reposition them to gain higher rents and positive cash-flow in an understood time frame.

    Now, if you have a portfolio of rentals, you can consider buying some for cash-flow and some for appreciation.    We buy mostly for cash-flow but we consider appreciation rates in the neighborhoods.   We have one rental property which is in a 15% per year appreciation neighborhood so we accept basically break-even cashflow as we know in 10yrs we can sell it if we want to and make significant capital gains.

    I like your point @Jeff Groudan 

    I think I really need to figure out what my "strategy" is before I even start buying anything. 

  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Jordan Petty I might have missed that, but do you currently own a property you live in? If not, then why not find a good deal that you can live in for at least a year with a low conventional dp of 5% and value-add in that time-frame? Then either refi or heloc out the cash and rent it out. 

  • Realtor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 24 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Mariah Smith:

    @Jordan Petty you mention something in your first paragraph that really resonated with me... 'to give back to those who have helped you' and also you mentioned you were looking long term. I have twice bought a negative cash flowing property and it was for similar reasons.  The first time, I purchased a house in an area of North Carolina I was sure I would return to when my career permitted it (I'm military). I bought a house I loved in a great school district.  I was fortunate to have good, high quality tenants over the 9 years it was a rental. But it was always $-150 a month or so. I was able to make it up on my tax returns at the end of the year and I liked knowing it was 'waiting' for me.  When my life circumstances changed and I realized I wouldn't return there, there was no incentive to keep the house so I sold it and made a little money on the sale. 

    The second time was to give back. I rent a home I own to a very beloved family member who has helped me out tremendously in life but currently could not afford to pay the total amount each month that would make it cash flow positive for me. I could get more on the open rental market, but in this case it makes me much happier to have someone I love dearly in a safe, nice house then to have strangers in it and making a few hundred more each month. Long term, the house is in an attractive area that has experienced consistent, long term growth and rising home values. 

     In each case, I was able to do this because, like you, I have outside steady income.  In my second case my family member and I had an open, honest discussion about exit strategy in the event my financial circumstances change and I need to either sell the house or make it cash flow positive. 

    I'm a newer investor and I have two other properties that cash flow and I selected them because they DID cash flow and were in a nice, growing area. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. 

    I wish you good luck and if you are thinking long term on a case by case basis, such as buying a home that your parents might want to live in someday when they are elderly/retired, but could be a rental now even if you were out of pocket a bit, I'd say go for it.  I know not everyone will agree with me because there are still a lot of 'What-ifs' in each scenario. Keep us posted on your progress!

    Thank you @Mariah Smith !

    That is a really good idea that you mentioned and shows you have a good heart. Potentially using a home for like a retirement property for your parents, or someone in your family who needs a place to stay.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    I would stay away. There are lots of deal out there, you may just have to get off the MLS to find them. Also please don't assume that you must have money to be an investor. I have been investing for 7 months and have used $800 to buy 5 properties, including two mobile home parks. Having money is not a must - finding a good deal is.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    8y

    @Dan H. how is my thinking short term???? Hold props for 5, 10, 15 years, earn on avg, 12- 15% ( my personals are over 25%  some 40% NETS, ) Also get the benefit of appreciation and tax benefits. Neither is better or worse its all about each ones appetite, however there is no better way to build wealth then real estate.  Thank goodness for me my 100s of clients  ( dozens from CA, )  like the invest in RE, , All the best, 

  • Investor · Fairport, NY · Member since 2015 · 124 posts · 74 votes
    8y

    @Jordan Petty your goals are admirable, to give back to those who helped you along the way.  You stated your long term goal of buying properties to cover your monthly expenses.  I believe you answered your own question about investing in properties with negative cash flow.

    Your frustration is very understandable, along with the desire to just get started and do something.  Other comments have noted that there are parts of the county where cash flowing properties can be found.  I invest in Rochester (western New York, ok pretty much southern Canada) and the market has been great to me.  

    If you are interested I can share references for a broker, property manager, or anything else you need to invest remotely.  Good luck with the hunt and try to stay motivated without getting discouraged.  

    Russ

  • MBA, CFP®, EA · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 175 posts · 207 votes
    8y
    @Jordan Petty not unless you plan to have amazing appreciation or own other property and need added depreciation.
  • Realtor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    @Russel S. wow I just looked on Zillow right quick at the rents and the lower cost properties. The cash flow seems to be really good from just doing some quick numbers.

    I will look more into the area and reach out to you if I become interested!

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    8y
    @Jordan Petty Never take a property with negative cashflow unless you have a plan to get it to where it will cashflow well. The more negative cashflow I have to take the more upside I want on back end.
  • Investor · Fontana, CA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 59 votes
    8y
    @Jordan Petty I bought a property in Spring, Tx over 1@ years ago for 122K. Negative cash flow about -$100 a month (if there are no repairs or other expenses) and I would not do it again. There are so many other deals that make more sense. The only way I would buy a negative cash flow property is if you have a strong sense of the market appreciation or if it were a multi family unit that I could turn around and raise the rents.
  • Specialist · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2016 · 390 posts · 496 votes
    8y

    Personally, no way. 

    In my humble opinion, cash flow is the roots of the tree that keeps your tree standing when the winds blow. Time is the best friend of the investor, both in real estate and stocks. 

    In real estate, it's the positive cash flow that keeps you standing when the market shifts. If you are cash flow negative and the market turns south, you're stuck with an "asset" that's taking money out of your pocket and losing equity. If your equity has gone negative as well, you're stuck with a negative cash flow asset that you'll be forced to sell (never a profitable position), keep losing money or lose it all to foreclosure.

    If you're making positive cash flow, you can wait out the market corrections and sell when it's profitable, not when you're forced to.

    You'll almost always make more money on appreciation than cash flow, especially if you're forcing it, but you should never count on it to keep you afloat.

    Cash flow is the roots, appreciation is the fruit.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Bob Prisco:

    @Dan H. how is my thinking short term???? Hold props for 5, 10, 15 years, earn on avg, 12- 15% ( my personals are over 25%  some 40% NETS, ) Also get the benefit of appreciation and tax benefits. Neither is better or worse its all about each ones appetite, however there is no better way to build wealth then real estate.  Thank goodness for me my 100s of clients  ( dozens from CA, )  like the invest in RE, , All the best, 

    The short term perspective was not in your RE perspective but it was in your S&P perspective.  The S&P declines you mention matter little to the long term S&P investor especially if  they do not put large sums in all at once.  Recovery will occur; almost always in less than 5 years.  The S&P decline with dollar cost averaging is similar to an RE depreciation cycle and is a buy opportunity and with dollar cost average you would be buying more when the price is reduced.

    I would not consider a buy n hold purchase if I was projecting 12% as in effect I have a more active role for a 2% projected additional profit.  Not worth it to me at this point in my investing.  Projecting 15% return starts to be worth it but I would probably pass but I would not consider an investor who chose the 15% return foolish for taking that route.  They probably have more time to deal with the RE and maybe less investment options.

    Your 25% to 40% projection is where I would consider RE clearly superior to S&P and worth the effort involved in owning buy n hold RE.  Typically the RE I purchase I am projecting >20% return annually for at least the initial 5 years and fortunately most of my RE has out performed our projections.

    Each investor has to determine their own acceptable projected return but for us a few percent above the historical S&P return is not worth the effort/hastle.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 126 posts · 110 votes
    8y

    In the right context, yes. I think it's worth factoring in appreciation and principal payments (assuming conventional mortgage) into the analysis. If you're in a part of town that's historically sketchier but is transitioning (i.e. appreciation and expected future rent increases), it may work. For a lot of bigger cities, this may be the case. But if I'm in a rural area or somewhere with slower and steadier growth, I'd be cautious. And of course there is risk to assuming the growth will be there - it's possible you could be wrong or that you'll have to weather the storm for several years if the market/economy slows. 

  • Lake Elsinore, CA · Member since 2018 · 235 posts · 300 votes
    8y

    If cashflow is your goal, then no, I would not buy a negative cashflowing property, UNLESS I knew there was some appreciation or other reason in the short-term I would be able to cash in on. The thing is there are lots of properties and opportunity. I personally don't hesitate to walk away from a deal that doesn't meet my numbers. There are more fish/houses in the sea.

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jordan Petty:
    Originally posted by @Frankie Woods:

    @David Greene invests out of state and has written a book on how to do it.  I invest out-of-state in STL and am looking into Colorado Springs from Albuquerque.  As stated in Cash Flow Quandrant, when you buy negative cash flowing properties, you are limited in the number of properties you can own by the amount of extra cash you have from your "day job" or savings.  If you buy positive cash flowing properties, your acquisition potential is virtually unlimited.

    @Frankie Woods - Yeah I have e-book of David's book. Need to read the rest of it.

    I was looking at St. Louis as well since I visited the area for a work trip in October. Seems like a pretty affordable in the city, but lots of rehab needed. How are your investments doing there? What are good areas?

    I agree if you rely on your work income too much, then you will definitely become in over your head the more you buy.

     STL is going crazy right now.  If I were you, I'd focus on Fox park and Benton Park.  Tons of opportunity.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 221 posts · 188 votes
    8y
    Generally, this is a bad investment strategy. You dont want a property with negative cashflow. Now, there are folks who gamble with appreciation. You can do this when you are a big dog! Happy investing
  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    Heck to the no!!! Why would you?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    (first post disclaimer) 

    Hey Jordan,

    Yeah I'm in Houston too, and I am totally in the same boat as far as long term goals (i.e. full-time job income replacement, then wealth building and philanthropy).  I feel your pain, and have definitely been frustrated by running numbers on bunches of properties and trying to finagle numbers to make them CF.

    I just finished reading "Building Wealth One House at a Time" (Schaub) and one recommendation I took away from that is to have some buffer built into your rental rates.  In the event that the rental market dries up, you can drop your rent a little and have 0CF, but you keep your property occupied (hopefully) rather than having months of vacancies trying to get a renter in.  Doesn't solve our dilemma, maybe even makes it a little worse, but it's a perspective I've been trying to keep in mind.

    I have the same questions tho: how do you CF properties with 2+% property tax??

    Have you been looking at wholesale deals?  I've found more promising numbers one some of those properties than what's on Zillow and HAR.

    Would love to network with you and talk shop sometime!

    Aaron

  • Rental Property Investor · Tahoka, TX · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    @Jordan Petty depends on your ultimate goals. I made a similar negative cash flowing purchase 5 years ago. It was the house next door to my personal resIdence and my job at the tIme had weIrd hours, and I wanted control of my peaceful nights sleep so, I bought it and slowly made improvements in order to turn my negative positive. Peace of mind is priceless.
  • Justin KurpiusPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2017 · 84 posts · 41 votes
    8y
    @Jordan Petty Patience/timing is your biggest asset. Work the numbers in your business plan to include how much u gain by waiting for next cycle or waiting for a good deal that cash flows X amount.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.