Building a Four plex or Duplex

4 Replies

This is probably not what you want to hear, but usually the price per square foot to build is higher than to buy, so your deals are potentially more expensive than currently existing properties. Do some research with local builders to see if that's true where you are. If your area is not good for deals, (like a lot of CA) you might have to look long distance. Good luck!

Hello Michael, 

I'd say the best place to find a great deal is to get an off-market one. Although these are more difficult to find, making connections with brokers and others in the business can get you there! Good luck

Building is so expensive . If you can build enough units to cover the time trouble and cost that is key. Client of mine just spent 80,000 just in permits for a 2100 sf foot home in OC! Yikes.

Oh wow that is brutal!  Yes, as everyone mentioned here, it's costly to build on vacant land in more ways that just monetary.  Off-market deals are the way to go.  MLS sellers want top dollar even if their property is not up to par.  

Originally posted by @Jo-Ann Lapin :

Building is so expensive . If you can build enough units to cover the time trouble and cost that is key. Client of mine just spent 80,000 just in permits for a 2100 sf foot home in OC! Yikes.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you