I'm looking for a reputable hard money lender

4 Replies

Who have you borrowed money from, and what terms can I expect? I've read about a wide variety of options, but I'd like to hear directly from someone about their specific experience.

I have an offer from a lender for 100% funding at 6%, paying interest only on a 12 month note.  They're asking for an $870 fee to start the process, and it has me feeling nervous.  

Originally posted by @Ben Watt :

I have an offer from a lender for 100% funding at 6%, paying interest only on a 12 month note.  They're asking for an $870 fee to start the process, and it has me feeling nervous.  

Was the lender the guy mentioned in this post? https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/49/topics/595905-lender-scam-warning-north-carolina

Seems odd that the up front fee was exactly the same.  In any event, you're right to feel nervous of a "hard money lender" asking for an up front fee and offering to loan you money at 6% interest.  Anyone offering such a low interest rate that you don't spend the holidays with and call mom or dad, is probably trying to scam you out of whatever money you pay to them up front. 

Be careful.

Hey @Ben Watt ! We're a hard money lender located in NJ but lend to most states, including Iowa. The offer you have definitely seems a bit suspicious and you should definitely be wary when it comes to these things. If you're still looking for a HML, we may be of service. Shoot me a message and we can chat!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you