What state makes sense to invest in and why?

1 Reply

Hi, I currently live in Santa Cruz, California. I have about a year left of college until I want to eventually pick a market to start my real estate investing career. I do have some markets in mind such as The Coast of the Carolinas, Oregon, or Texas but I am keeping an open mind to other places too. What markets are you in and why? What markets are great for investing in? California makes it difficult for us beginners.

Michael,

California is unusually bad for real estate investing, but a great place to visit (and probably live, I'd guess).  For real estate investing, I'd say the best place is the middle of the country (Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas).  Still great cash flow and low prices.  If those places don't excite you and you're looking for a good Quality of life and lower prices, I'd say go for TX, Carolina Coast or Oregon (or any place except CA, NY, NJ, MA).  

Bottom line, go where you want and learn the market.  You can really succeed anywhere with hard work.

Good Luck!

Chris

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you