how much cash to hold per sfh?

5 Replies

Hi everybody!

this question is for buy and hold investors.  How much cash do you think is a good amount to hold per rental house?  for such things as repairs and vacancies?

thanks!

Diane Stinebaugh

@Diane Stinebaugh - I dont think its one size fits all type of an answer because imo it depends A few things to take into consideration would be - - age of the house and how much deferred maintenace it has - Is it A/B/C or lower class type of an asset - Geographical location and possibility of natural disasters like hurricanes, tornadoes, hailstorms, earthquakes etc.

I also think it matters how many you have, if you have one property you need more reserves than if you have 100 properties.  10K a house cited above might be about right for a person with 1-5 units but if you have 100 units setting a million bucks in reserve accounts is probably excessive, since its unlikely all 100 units will have a problem at the same time.

Definitely an "it depends" question. For example, my duplex has brand new furnaces, hot water heaters, and AC units, and the roof is 5 years old. Unlikely any of that capex will be needed real soon. But, you never know when a tree root will plow through your septic system or water line. I'm personally keeping $5k cash on hand for this duplex, but also not paying myself with the cash flow either. Rather, I'm reinvesting anything much higher than my reserves at the moment. If not for the new HVAC, I would want to keep $10k handy. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you