Property Management from day one?

2 Replies

As a new investor the topic of property management comes up often during property evaluations.

This is one of those things that will eventually happen once someone reaches a certain amount of properties (unless they want to self-manage 10+ units), but that doesn’t appeal to me.

My debate I am having with myself is should I consider managing my first property or two so I can gain the experience (Been there done that, got the t-shirt kind of deal) or should I put my faith into a management company from day one, freeing my time up for other opportunities?

This isn’t necessary a money issue, as I am fully aware of the benefits a good management company can offer, but its more so the experience side of things.

If I get a great deal and manage it myself for <1 year and hire a company after would that be a reasonable option, or should I just consider it an experience not worth taking?

I would like to hear about other experiences and opinions.

Thanks! 

@Alexander Wardell Depends on how close the properties are to you and how convenient. If your house hacking it's a no brainer but I personal think self managing is giving yourself a job.. I have rentals set up where I do not have a PM but I have a tenant take care of a few responsibilities and pay them a reduced rent..

@Hai Loc The area I am looking at is roughly an hour but depending on the time of year it can be as much as two hours. I will not be house hacking either. Yes you are correct in that I do not want to create another job for myself.  I am just the type of person who will have this itch until I finally do it (self management) no matter how brief it may be.   

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you