Question about wetlands mitigation?

3 Replies

If somebody wants to buy a piece of land and get it permitted as a Wetlands Mitigation property, what has to happen?

Does this property already need the trees planted and grown on it? Is it up to the owner to grow/transplant trees ahead of time if they weren't present when they bought it? Does the developer (whoever buys the mitigation credit) pay for the planting/transplanting of trees at the time they purchase the credits?

When searching for suitable parcels to be used as a mitigation bank, where should I look? Loopnet? MLS? Google?

Been doing a little research. I'm supposed to buy the parcel, then improve it (transplant trees), then get a permit to sell wetlands mitigation credits. So basically, as soon as I'm done selling all my credits, there's no money left in the project, and I still have to maintain it.

Hello, how did you make out with this? I have the opportunity to buy a Section of land and I am just learning about the mitigation thing. I’m hoping that I can make some money or at least do something good for the environment. 590 acres seems like a waste to just sit there when it can be used to help the environment or offset a developer trying to build in florida

I have 3.4 acres with stream frontage and some seasonal wetlands already . I want to sell credits for the land and then donate the property to a conservation group so they can maintain it and pay the taxes . Anyone with experience in this ? I paid 35,000 for the land 12 years ago . Just want my money back out of it 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you