What skills are needed to become a successful investor?

15 Replies

Hey BP! I've been taking some time to think about what skills I need to develop to become a high performing real estate investor and I wanted to get your opinion. In general, what are the three most important skills that make real estate investors successful?

Thanks for your input, I'm curious to see what those of you who have been doing this for much longer than me have to say! 

They ask a similar question at the end of each podcast. :)

This thread is still relevant, but just and FYI that you can find a lot of opinions on that question from people who have been successful at this game. It is a good question though. 

Originally posted by @Kaydn Jensen :

Hey BP! I've been taking some time to think about what skills I need to develop to become a high performing real estate investor and I wanted to get your opinion. In general, what are the three most important skills that make real estate investors successful?

Thanks for your input, I'm curious to see what those of you who have been doing this for much longer than me have to say! 

Taking action. - The rest comes as a result of that.

@Kaydn Jensen as joe said you need math. Especially advanced skills like multiplication and division. You can get away with no math in a bull market, mostly. When I see noobie posts with no numbers listed or the wrong metrics applied I’m fairly confident their RE career will be limited to the current market cycle.

@Kaydn Jensen That's a great question my friend. In all honesty the skills you need to be successful in this business are the skills you need  to be successful in any career, or area of life. Your mental state/thinking is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. Success is 80% mindset. You need to be able to learn, work hard and stay positive. Being a people person is a huge plus since this business is all about relationships, but it isn't necessary. Just being honest, hard working and positive will get you so far my friend. It really isn't as complicated as you may, or may not think. Just being a good person and doing your absolute best consistently will take you so much farther than most. 

Patience is also a very big key. That is one thing I will say that you have to have. Many people get into this with high hopes of getting rich quick and quit a few weeks, months or years later. WEALTH takes time. You must be willing to work hard and keep working hard even if you don't get results right off the bat. 

One of my very valued and successful mentors says being an entrepreneur is like baking a cake. You need all the right ingredients to make your cake(business) come out delicious. Many people get the ingredients correct, but when it comes to baking the cake is where they mess up. They want the cake to bake in 15 minutes, so they take out ingredients or turn up the temperature to 600 degrees. That doesn't work. IT NEEDS TIME TO BAKE. The cake will take 45-90 minutes regardless of how you feel or wish. Many people just don't give their cake time to bake and quit too soon. That analogy is life honestly. Patience is so key my friend I really can't stress that enough.

The last thing, which it seems you are already doing, is LEARNING. Listen to podcasts and read EVERY DAY. That is so key my friend you have to constantly be learning and growing. I wish you the best brother and can't wait to see you on the site in the future, and see how far you have come!

If you don't have any analytical skills, you better find someone that does. Yes, you need to know how to do math but what that doesn't say is learning how to interpret those numbers. 

You need patience. This is a long view game.

You need perseverance. Things will go wrong.

You need to be willing to bust ***. Period. Hard work > theory virtually 100% of the time. 

Originally posted by @JD Martin :

If you don't have any analytical skills, you better find someone that does. Yes, you need to know how to do math but what that doesn't say is learning how to interpret those numbers. 

You need patience. This is a long view game.

You need perseverance. Things will go wrong.

You need to be willing to bust ***. Period. Hard work > theory virtually 100% of the time. 

Ditto

Persistence is key in my humble opinion.

If you can mix it with networking with the right people, this is huge. I believe many underestimate the importance of networking

@Kaydn Jensen You need more than 3 skills.. Psychological mindset (non-tangible): 1) Drive and Hunger - ”I must do it” 2) Passion - Know your WHY 3) Guts - no fear 3 top skills (tangible) 4) Math 5) Project Management 6) Leadership - if you want to scale Goodluck and remember YOLO!

Account Closed thanks for your post. My intention was to ask more for the tangible skills but the way you broke it up into both was great. Thanks to everyone willing to take a minute to help me out. 

Firstly and most importantly know your risk tolerance level.

Second know how to set and monitor goals in keeping with the above.

Lastly understand maths, (I think you Americans call it math), and learn to leave your emotions at the door when you analyse deals.

@Kaydn Jensen Money management. Be thrifty or earn a lot at your primary job. Organization. If you devise a business plan during your first flip or rental then the next one is more profitable and goes smoother. I have no “people skills” but I get by because I trust but verify and treat everyone fairly and with respect. I would never raise my voice like on TV. If I am treated poorly I just never use a tradesman again. Lastly, I have a handy family. We get a certain degree if satisfaction out of doing a lot of the finish work. Really knowing how an hvac system, plumbing system, building envelope works is a big plus, and knowing what is involved in a rehab and how much skill, time and effort (as well as labor pool) is required per job can help you accept a bid with confidence...and price the asset in the first place.

@Kaydn Jensen I would start by learimg real estate numbers and what constitutes a “deal”. This skill along with understanding exit strategies is paramount to successfully getting started. All the best. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you