Database or Spreadsheet

3 Replies

How big does a contact list or mailing list need to be before it makes sense to switch from a spreadsheet to a database?

I'm putting together a mailing list.  I don't need to do analysis.  

I'm surprised how little info there is on this topic that's for the consumption of the non-techie out on the web.  

Thanks in advance. 

The latest versions of excel can handle 1million rows per sheet.  So I think you can make do with spreadsheets if you wanted to go that route.  

The beauty of CRM systems is you can automate and track and do much more than just manage a list.

@Brett K.

Not really a matter of how big/small the contact list is, as much as it is how frequently that data changes, or how many data sets someone is trying to piece together. 

Generally speaking, the more dynamic the data, you'll lean more towards a database. 

If it's more static, spreadsheet makes more sense. 

This is the reason why it's not a big topic, since most ppl are using information from a sole user's perspective without too many moving pieces; data providers being on the flip side.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you