can I submit an offer without the agent?

2 Replies

Newbie still, with another question. I asked my agent about a particular house that may be being sold via a wholesaler. I did not know that when I asked the agent about it. He talked to the person--letters and phone number on the sign, no agency (AFAIK)--and told me the asking price. He and I discussed me getting pre-approved, and another house, too.

Anyway, am I now tied into using that real estate agent to submit my offer to this seller? No, we did not sign anything, I have no signed papers with him, but we did speak of him being my buyers agent.
Thanks

At this point I would say that it might not be good business to not use the realtor. You don't have any legal bind to that agent and at this point they are not entitled to a commission, but the agent would feel like you burned them if you did not use them at this point. Burning bridges is never a good idea.

you are not legally able to get any commission...and this will end up as double commission for the listing agent of full 6%.
As a buyers agent, this person is suppose to get you the best price possible.
The best is finding a good buyer's agent...for this transaction

thanks
sunsmicro

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you