What is your “Why” for Real Estate investing ?

146 Replies

• To be able to travel to over 100 countries with my wife and kids
  • To never need a job again
  • To leave a footprint in the community especially with charitable endeavours
  • To have more time to write screenplays
  • To build something with my wife (as my current business is boring to her :D

Real estate has the most opportunities to create income, wealth, and impact in different ways. 

Thanks for starting this thread, Alex!

My Big Why as Gary Keller put it was to 

1. Build a legacy and generational wealth for my family.

2. To help pay for the expensive medical bills i have due to getting chemo treatments every 4 weeks. 

3. To help build up my community and help those most in need of affordable housing and to teach them the importance of owning rather than renting. 

I have always done things "The Hard Way". I don't take orders well, follow the beaten path or work well with structured/normal jobs. I wanted to be my own boss and do things my way, be in total control of my destiny. So I guess in short, my "why" was to be my own boss. My bigger "why", however, was to do what I want to do and when I want to do it.

I have a well paying W2 job that I love to do .  However, I do Real Estate as a side gig.  This helps me pay for my kids college, and all of what my family needs, as well as some of what my family wants as well.  It increases my savings rate because all that I make from Real Estate is extras that I donot need to live on. 

My "why" is to set myself and my future family up for happiness. Before I came across real estate and BiggerPockets, I was an avid reader of Mister Money Mustache, who taught me the principles of being a frugal badass and saving myself into retirement quickly. More importantly, he shared his story about retiring before his son was born, which is the best gift he had given himself; neither he nor his wife had to worry about childcare to go work jobs during the day, and they could focus on active parenthood.

I got laid off from a job I exceeded expectations at. Never again will I let someone else's company determine my fate.

My "why" is replacing my income as a nurse in order to free up my time to pursue my interests as well as free up time to have a family. Definitely one needs that "why" to keep you going in this journal of real estate investing and creating wealth. The road to wealth is not for the faint of heart. 

Originally posted by @Alex Jones :

@Joseph Ghobrial

Well, if that your goal yes. It’s achievable and possibilities. It’s your why?

Yes, it is my why. But it makes me nervous that no one else is doing it for this reason, or maybe I should be happy because it is less competition? :D I hope I picked the right vehicle for growth! If the other billionaires from real estate are any indication then I have. 

@Alan Grobmeier I've already learned a lot. I'm truly baffled every single day by just day 1 mistakes I should have seen. I'm not sure if I could ever repay BP for what they have built but a recent podcast just said all you can do os "pay it forward." Tonight i got my attorney to start at number 1 and through him found an "investor" who inherited some money and has decided to spend a small portion as a mostly silent money partner who wants to learn the game with us.

@Alex Jones any time! I recently slimmed that down. I honestly feel like an oddball investor. We should all be "professional" with each other. But in my area speaking about yourself a lot is considered rude. And if you have a tie on and a car worth over $20,000 you are lost and the highway is that way.

People may shy away from us "rednecks." But I can find deals that 3 people know about...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here