How many electrical meters needed

2 Replies

Is a common area electrical meter necessary?  I want to rewire my 4 unit building but I don't want to add a meter for 2 lights in the hallway and 2 lights in the basement that are never used.  Thoughts?

It depends on the jurisdiction. In NYC where I am, if you got a CO for 4 units, you only get 4 meters. The reason is to thwart illegal conversions. If they allow extra meters for two lights in the hallway, some subsequent owner will then do an illegal conversion and use the extra meter for that unit. Also, only licensed electrician can request them and inspections done after installation. I can't call up and say "hey, give me two extra meters."

I hook up my common area hallway lights to one of the units and give the tenant a few dollars credit on his rent bill every month for electric use. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you