Rent Increase? Limit?

3 Replies

Good morning BP!

Is there a limit on how much I can increase rent of an existing tenant, assuming the lease is expiring soon? I know you have to honor any existing leases if you purchase a new property. Let's say I determine the existing lease is super low and I want to raise $200/ month; aggressive i know, but is it legal? It shouldn't need to be raised slowly over time, correct?

Also, what if I want to make improvements to the units while the tenant is still living there. Can I THEN increase rent amount?

I'm assuming there's some sort of laws in NJ managing that, but I wouldn't know where to start looking. Thanks!

-DH

@Dennis A Higgs Jr as long as there are no local rent control laws, you can most definitely raise rent. The market will ultimately dictate how much you can raise the rents. I recently acquired a property in Cicero, IL, and I am raising the rents on the 2 bedroom units from $675 to $900 per month. The tenants are not pleased, but the market says they should be paying closer to $1050-1100. 

Originally posted by @John Warren :

@Dennis A Higgs Jr as long as there are no local rent control laws, you can most definitely raise rent. The market will ultimately dictate how much you can raise the rents. I recently acquired a property in Cicero, IL, and I am raising the rents on the 2 bedroom units from $675 to $900 per month. The tenants are not pleased, but the market says they should be paying closer to $1050-1100. 

Makes sense.  Thank you! Yea, assuming the amount of the rent increase I know the tenant wouldn't be happy and possibly move out sheet his/her lease.  What if I make improvements during lease? Either exterior... or interior; could I raise at that time too?

@Dennis A Higgs Jr I typically don't make major improvements when a tenant is in a property. It is just too much hassle trying to work around their schedules, etc. I also would rather them move out so I can really go through the unit and jump to the top of the market rent. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you