Has anybody dated a tenant?

21 Replies

Has anyone dated a tenant? No harassment but mutually agreeable. Maybe Trump has but I am curious asking regular landlords in this forum.  Please describe how it went?  Thanks.

@Atul Mohlajee

This sounds like even worse of an idea than renting to people that have been evicted. Why would anybody even ask this question or contemplate this idea?

Thanks for responses.  I was just surveying to hear people because one of my tenants dated previous landlord, i.e., the guy from whom I bought the building.  I could not believe if she was telling the truth because he seemed like serious, old, cutthroat A type of landlord.

@Atul Mohlajee

Sounds like a recipe for disaster..

Ever see the Seinfeld episode when he dated his housekeeper??

I would expect a similar outcome ...

@Atul Mohlajee

Maybe trump has ? What that supposed to mean . Are you sure you weren’t thinking of slick willy prancing around the oval office late at night in his boxers ? Of coarse this is a horrible unprofessional idea to say the least

I have been hired to handle the eviction of a girl who dated her landlord. She wouldn't leave and rode it out until the day the sherrif showed up. He rented a uhaul and had us meet the sherrif there.

To top it off she never asked anyone if they could store her stuff. We went to four peoples houses that day, each one was just as surprised as the last that we showed up, and refused to let her keep her stuff at their house. House 4 was finally a winner.

What a long dramatic day. That's life in the rental game though. landlord paid us $1500 to make her go away, lol

@Atul Mohlajee

I was an adult teacher before I was a landlord. Good training. No, I have never dated a tenant.

You may be hearing the wrong things from the wrong people. To her, she dated the landlord. To him, she was a booty call. Sounds like a real piece of work, whatever the relationship was.

There was a post a day or two ago about being friends on FB with tenants. The consensus was a huge NO. So.... probably not a good idea.

It is impossible to have a mutual relationship if one person is in a position of authority. 

This applies to manager/employee, teacher/student or any other situation where one person can apply repercussions on the other. The trouble is even if not intentional, it can be perceived that way. 

Anyone who puts them self in a situation like this just has bad judgement and bad self control.

Sounds good for tenants but bad for Landlords. Some may describe that as a live-in boyfriend/girlfriend that doesn’t pay anything or contribute towards any thing at all. Avoid!

A friend and his wife met when she rented a room from him. They have been married for some time now and have children.

So, 1 data point of a positive outcome. 

Otherwise, I would say there are lots of ways for the situation to go wrong with fewer upsides long term.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you