Tenant getting harassed by a neighbor

Tenant getting harassed by a neighbor

Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 4 votes

Hi All,

My tenant is getting passively harassed by a neighbor. I do not know who the neighbor is but they seem to be targeting him. He has been a great long term tenant and I am confident he isn't doing anything to provoke such action. 

The latest incident was the neighbor dug through his trash, found a few bags that weren't tied all the way and reported him to the city. The city eventually hand delivered a letter to him that he needs to tie his trash bags. If you are thinking that this is a joke I completely understand. Unfortunately it is not, this actually happened.

I feel terrible that he is going through this and also frustrated that I cant take any action as I don't know who the culprit is.  Also, I do not want to lose a good long term tenant or have the same thing happen to future tenants. Does anyone have advice on how to handle this? I thought about speaking with an attorney but I don't know what good it will do since I don't know who it is and have no proof. 

The house is located in a good area with an HOA in Tempe, AZ. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Matt

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

Stay out of it. The fact is you don’t really know what is going on there in the neighborhood day to day and this is a disagreement between 2 adults. Let them figure it out.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 413 posts · 348 votes
    7y

    I mean...there has to be more to the story. 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Lessard is that the only incident? I mean someone must’ve nominated themselves as block captain lol. You can offer your tenant some security cameras. Since they range anywhere from 40$-400$ you can make a small small investment in this long term tenant by offering to l upgrade her security slightly. I mean that would solve the rats digging in the trash

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Matthew Lessard buy him a wize cam. They are like $30 on amazon.com, and they hook to the wifi. He can then see who the culprit is, and report it to the police with video evidence. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Unfortunately, I have experienced similar situations (there's a lot of crazy out there). I found there are several things you can do to support your tenant - and that sends a message to whomever has nothing better to do than intrude on your tenant that  they'll be needing a new hobby.  Here's a few:

    1.  Let the tenant know that you're on his side and that you will let the police know that someone is entering your property and going through the trash.  And, please do that.  Having a record of the complaint will help you should the intruder elevate his crazy to the next level...they often do. Getting away with it empowers them.

    2.  I agree with putting a camera up...even a fake one. Put a small sign that says "cameras in use." That alone usually ends things.

    3.  Put a No Trespassing sign on your property (it doesn't have to be big and ugly). In some municipalities (including mine), unless a sign is posted, the police will not do anything but escort someone off your property. They can be in your backyard wandering around and the police will do nothing without the posting.

    4.  Your tenant might want to package his trash differently for the intruder's personal enjoyment...maybe duct taping all the bags closed, maybe spray the bags with WD40 so the poor sap doesn't get that sack ripping burn, or a gift tag on every bag saying "I see you."  

    I'm sorry you and your tenant are going through this.  The one thing you don't want to do is nothing...that will let the crazy know that there are no consequences. 

    May the force be with you...

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    The man ties his trash bags, problem solved (could have been the garbage man).

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Stay out of it. The fact is you don’t really know what is going on there in the neighborhood day to day and this is a disagreement between 2 adults. Let them figure it out.

  • Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    These are all good ideas, thank you all for the insight, this is super helpful!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.